I’ve been spending a lot of time reading Thought Catalog. I found this post, 27 Questions From a 27-Year-Old that was interesting, especially when you compare these questions to the ones swirling in the mind of an 18-year-old about to embark on the awesomeness of graduation/college. If you have time, read the 50-something who responds in the comments.
So here I go with my own questions. Side note: I almost wrote this post as 23 questions because I somehow can’t register in my own head that I’m 24 years old, although I am not one of those girls who dreads growing older. Funny that I naturally assumed I was younger, when I consider myself to be pretty mature for my age.
1. Will everybody I know get married? I don’t mean like the people I went to high school with, who I really don’t give a shit about, but still like to check in on their page occasionally because I’m bitter and want to see how petty their lives are in comparison to mine. I mean my close friends old and new. If they all get married and I don’t (or vice versa) – can we still remain close despite different life paths?
2. Will my thoughts on wanting children change when I’m older? You know those girls who dream about being a mommy and having another little person around that’s just like them? That’s not me. I don’t have even the slightest urge to give up putting me first, to be 100% responsible for someone else. Goddamn that’s selfish, isn’t it?
3. Am I going to stay in the same job/industry forever? As a millennial I’m supposed to be this “entitled” job-hopper. Most descriptions of millennials offend me. I’m not entitled, in fact, I think I work my ass off. And, in terms of a job, I’d ideally rather stay at the same place for a while. There’s a nice sense of loyalty and comfort in settling into a job the way you settle into phases of your life.
4. By the time I retire, is there even going to be any damn social security money left? Cause if not, I’m boycotting paying into it anymore.
5. What am I going to do when my parents get older? When they die? They are so young for their age and are living life to the fullest. I can’t bear to think how I will handle adulthood without them there, as they have been every step of the way.
6. Will the era of reality TV ever end? Dear god I hope not. My love for Bravo TV is just beyond words.
7. Is the war on terror ever going to end? When Joe gets back, I don’t know that I’ll ever feel the same about war. I hope this anxious feeling I have deep inside goes away when I know he’s safe at home, but now that I have a better glimpse into war, I don’t know if this feeling will ever go away until war ends.
8. Are all of my bad eating habits going to catch up with me one day and make me obese? *As I take this last bite of Lou Malnati’s*
9. Am I still going to be getting into fights with girls when I’m 70? I’m guessing I won’t be at the club pouring drinks on some skank who’s sitting in a VIP booth thinking she’s hot shit, but canes, wheelchairs and bingo can be worthy of a throw-down when you’re old I suppose.
10. Is freedom of speech going to become even more limited because of social media when I’m older? It’s bad enough that nowadays we can’t be passive aggressive about life on Twitter or Facebook because a parent/client/co-worker might see it, but how far will this go? Where can I be on my soapbox without somebody crying like a little sally over it?
11. Will a tornado or earthquake ever happen in Chicago? Apparently there’s some big fault line in Illinois and lately there are plenty of tornado watches in the city. Hrmmm.
12. Am I going to get plastic surgery one day despite my views on boob jobs being a sad sign of insecurity?
13. Are Justin Bieber, Kim Kardashian or Katy Perry ever going to get hit by a bus or fall of the face of the earth?
14. Will a Mexican-American ever become president?
15. Am I ever going to give a penguin a big hug?
16. Am I ever going to prove my mother wrong when she says, “you can’t have it all, at once?”
17. Will I ever have a midlife crisis? I don’t think I can afford to have the female version of that where lipo, exotic vacations and designer shoes are all involved.
18. Am I gonna have serious wrinkles by 30, cause I have stress lines on my forehead already.
19. Will I ever enjoy running?
20. Will I ever really know what forgiveness feels like? I’ve lost relationships in the past because when I feel betrayed my immediate reaction is to write people off. For good. Those that I’ve reconciled have been only after years have passed or they called me crying. I hope I can grow up a little and learn to move on from things without shutting people out of my life.
21. Will I have close guy friends when I’m older? People say you can’t be close to someone of the opposite sex without something “happening.” I don’t really believe that because I feel like I can be close to guys, but who knows if deep down they just want some.
22. Are you ever too old to BOMO?
23. Will I ever grow a pair and crowdsurf, bungee jump or sky dive?
24. Will I still be blogging in 24 years?
What are your questions?